Grounds Open Daily:
Summer 7:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. | Winter 7:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
The cemetery offices are closed on New Year’s Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.
Holyrood Cemetery was solemnly blessed and dedicated on the Feast of All Saints, November 1, 1953, by the Most Rev. Thomas Connolly, Archbishop of Seattle. Holyrood Cemetery officially opened on January 2, 1954 and has served the growing Catholic community in the Puget Sound area for more than 60 years.
Some of the earliest burials at Holyrood are in the center two sections, called “God’s Acre.” Cherry trees line the God’s Acre Walkway and gardens at each end beautify the landscape.
More recently developed burials sections at Holyrood include Our Mother of Compassion and Lamb of God which face north, overlooking Lake Ballinger. Strolling the Resurrection Walkway at the center of the cemetery, visitors connect both physically and spiritually with both the pieta (Christ’s passion) and the risen Christ (Christ’s glory). This journey prefigures our own living, dying and rising to new life.
The various immigrant communities who make up our local Church today have prominent features designating various sections of the cemetery. These include Our Lady of Antipolo (Filipino), Our Lady of Lavang (Vietnamese), and a monument for St. Andrew Kim parish (Korean).
Holyrood Cemetery also offers a very wide variety of options for the placement of cremated remains of the body in keeping with the Catholic Church’s teaching that the cremated remains must be reverently place in a cemetery. Options include both ground burial and above ground columbarium niches. Cremation columbarium niches are available in the chapel mausoleum as we as in prominent locations throughout the cemetery.
Holyrood Catholic Cemetery is a sacred space, a place of prayer and quiet reflection that invites us to remember all those “who have gone now before us marked with the sign of faith.”