When visiting cemeteries in Federal Way, WA, you will see a variety of headstones and designs. In the past, headstones were normally found to contain just the name of the deceased as well as their birth date, date of passing, and an epitaph. However, now with more modern technology, headstones can be found in a wide array of colors and designs and even include pictures of the deceased etched on them.
Having a portrait of your loved one on their headstone in cemeteries can be a lovely way to help honor and remember them. It can also give the headstone much more meaning to others who pass by since they can see the face of the one who is resting there. With humans being visual creatures, these portraits can make much more of an emotional impact.
Choosing the Photo
If you are considering including a memorial portrait on your loved one’s headstone, there are a few things to keep in mind to select a good photo. Some of these things include:
- Make sure the photo is not blurry or out of focus
- Ensure the photo is well-lit
- Try and pick out a photo that shows clearly your loved one’s facial features
- Avoid cropped photos
- Select a photo that looks natural and is free of filters
- High-resolution digital photos are best
- Notice the background and choose a photo with a neutral one
- Select a photo that shows them at their best
How the Photo is Applied
Designs can be applied to headstones in one of two ways. Most designs and lettering on headstones are created by engraving. This is done by shooting compressed air and small sand particles through a tube to “draw” the design.
The second technique is called etching. This can be done by hand or by a laser and is often utilized when more detail needs to be included in the design such as with a portrait.
Hand etching is the more expensive option as it requires much more skill, time, and artistry. It also allows the artist to add imagination and creativity to create a truly unique design.
Laser etching is less expensive than hand etching and is done entirely by machine. As long as the photo is good quality, the machine can replicate it precisely and create a beautiful grayscale image. Purchasing a headstone to be placed in cemeteries is a way to ensure they have a tribute for years to come.
Attaching an Image
Other than engraving or etching the portrait directly into the headstone an image can be attached. Some things to note about this option are:
- Tends to be less expensive than etching or engraving
- The material used is typically either ceramic or porcelain
- These pieces are available in several shapes including squares, ovals, circles, hearts, and more
- The sizes can range from 2.25 inches to 10 inches or even larger
- These pieces can be in black, gray, white, or full color
Adding a memorial portrait to your loved one’s headstone is a wonderful visual way to honor and remember them. As long as you plan ahead, and have a nice, quality photograph, there are several options of ways to have it applied. This gives families the opportunity to keep their loved one’s memory alive in cemeteries in Federal Way, WA, for years to come.
If you would like to learn more about Headstone Portraits in cemeteries in Federal Way, WA, give us a call and let our caring staff answer any questions or concerns you may have.